Friday, November 09, 2007

Updates and Upgrades

Aggravation pays me a visit regularly. As I begin work, or play. When I turn it on and even when I turn it off. The pop-up, the reminder, and 'message box of incompatibility', buzz me like the swarm of mosquitoes poking at me to suck the time right out of me.

As we move further into the information age and further remove ourselves from being the physical attendant of the mechanical tool, we still seem to be headed toward an unsustainable burden of maintenance. Not the logical prediction of too much information, I can't get to the information highway through the speed bumps of software upgrades and updates.

Every day my virus software has to consume resources to get updates, my operating system has a regular schedule for updates, if I use more than a handful of software applications I have to go through a yearly upgrade expenditure and adventure, usually multiple times before its working like it did before I had to touch it.

I don't have to worry about computer zombies, or my system gaining a intelligence to take over the world, most of its up time and resources are consumed by this near endless maintenance. Its like a compulsive cat that has to constantly lick itself clean so its too busy interact with the world around it. Welcome to the 21st century.

No comments: