Thursday, November 03, 2005

Cliche...The art of the real

I had heard today was cliche day. Maybe its true, or its a voicing only to me, signify that I rely too much on the cliche. I could rattle on and drop cliche after cliche phrase, which is a problem while trying to excel at this craft. I like cliches, I use them to relate and associate. They provide a shared abbreviation of more complex abstractions. But as writing dictums go, cliches represent one as a 'lazy writer' [so many have said]. There is truth in that statement, and lazy I am not - and will not be.

Striking the reliance and use of cliches from my writing efforts is high on my list of goals. If anything it will help with the expansion of written explanations and should help both the clarity and length. I will use my creativity to annotate.

Public declarations of goals are a great way to commit to their fulfillment. Plus I'll be sure to add this one to my new year's resolutions. So its up to me to Seize the Day....(D'oh!)

No comments: